Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Halfway through the week...

I walked into Darby's school this afternoon to pick him up, and it's required that you sign in at the office. Which itself is no big deal, so I went in, and the administrative assistant and guidance counseler were whispering and giving me really dirty looks. I thought about it as I was walking to the classroom, and realized that perhaps they had gotten wind of the letter that I emailed to the district office stating that Darby would not be attending that school next year and demanding a decision be made on his placement next year by May 3rd.

Now, I know that it doesn't seem like a lot of time to give them, however, they have been jerking us around for the past two months, and I spoke with Darby's disability advocate through a local agency, and she told me that it would be in our best interests to send that letter. I sent it to the district psychologist, special ed supervisor, the school's special ed department, AND (to cover my own ass, because I have dealt with bs from this district before) the Superintendent of the District. I am really done fooling around with these people, and the crap that I dealt with today just reenforces that.

The guidance counseler, Mrs. Ryan, and I have had a hate/hate relationship since Darby started at that school last year. A lot of the kids were picking on him and really bullying him to the point where he broke down and begged me to homeschool him. I tried to get in to see the principal, but she was out that day, and I was stuck with Mrs. Ryan. I explained to her the situation, and she in turn blamed Darby because he did not conform to what the other kids were like.
Later on that week, the same crap happened and I wrote a very angry letter to her, pretty much telling her to get her head out of her ass. When Darby was finally diagnosed with PDD-NOS, I also took that as a chance to go off on her more. I'm sorry, but where are the supposed "No Bullying" and "Zero Tolerence" rules that the Burlington School District claims. There was one instance where a couple boys in his class were trying to get Darby to say somethings that were sexual in nature that would have gotten him expelled. Darby is a smart boy, and said no, but the other boys treated him like crap because he didn't do it. Isn't that a good reason for suspension?
I really don't care if people disagree with me, but even elementary school students should be suspended for bullying, because then maybe their parents will do something about it. At least it will show that there are consequences, instead of just being told, "No, you can't say that". Both my husband and I were victims of constant bullying, and to this day, it still affects us. Imagine what it will do to Darby.

On the bright side, it was another good day for him at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment